Open Access Policy and APCs
Last modified March 25, 2021
Licensing and Copyright
SBPReports applies the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license to articles and other works we publish. If you submit your paper for publication by SBPReports, you agree to have the CC BY license applied to your work. Under this Open Access license, you as the author agree that anyone can reuse your article in whole or part for any purpose for free, even for commercial purposes. Anyone may copy, distribute or reuse the content as long as the author and source are properly cited.
If the manuscript contains confidential information or content such as photos, images, figures, tables, audio files, videos, proprietary protocols, code, etc., that you or your co-authors do not own, we will require you to provide us with proof that the owner of that content (a) has given you written permission to use it, and (b) has approved of the publication of such information or content under the CC BY license. No secret third-party information can be contained in the submitted works.
Authors must obtain permission to reproduce any published material (figures, schemes, tables, or any extract of a text) which does not fall into the public domain or for which they do not hold the copyright. Permission should be requested by the authors from the copyright holder (usually the Publisher, please refer to the imprint of the individual publications to identify the copyright holder).
Permission is required for:
- Your works were published by other Publishers and for which you did not retain copyright.
- Substantial extracts from anyones' works or a series of works.
- Use of Tables, Graphs, Charts, Schemes and Artworks if they are unaltered or slightly modified.
- Photographs for which you do not hold the copyright.
Permission is not required for:
- Reconstruction of your table with data already published elsewhere. Please notice that in this case, you must cite the source of the data in the form of either "Data from..." or "Adapted from...".
- Reasonably short quotes are considered fair use and therefore do not require permission.
- Graphs, Charts, Schemes and Artwork that are completely redrawn by the authors and significantly changed beyond recognition do not require permission.
To avoid unnecessary delays in the publication process, you should start obtaining permissions as early as possible. If in any doubt about the copyright, apply for permission. SBPR cannot publish material from other publications without permission.
The copyright holder may give you instructions on the form of acknowledgment to be followed; otherwise, follow the style: "Reproduced with permission from [author], [book/journal title]; published by [publisher], [year].' at the end of the caption of the Table, Figure or Scheme.
Before publication, authors are encouraged to present their findings to their peers, including at meetings and conferences; to deposit a copy of their manuscript with a preprint server (or other open repository or website) and to blog about their findings. None of these activities will affect the consideration of a manuscript for publication in SBPReports. Where there is media interest in a paper that has been accepted by SBPReports, and likely media coverage in advance of publication, we encourage the authors to take advantage of the SBPReports option to publish their manuscript within a few days of acceptance, so that readers of any (potential) early coverage will be able to access the full paper as soon as possible.
All articles published by SBPReports are made immediately available worldwide under an open-access license. This means:
- everyone has free and unlimited access to the full-text of all articles published in SBPReports;
- everyone is free to re-use the published material if proper accreditation/citation of the original publication is given;
the open-access publication is supported by the authors' institutes or research funding agencies by payment of Article Processing Charges for accepted articles.
Article Processing Charges
- Short report – 250 €
- Original research paper – 350 €
- Comprehensive reviews – 250 €
Discounts for 50% will be provided to the authors willing to provide popular reports alongside their paper.
Institutions can sign a contract with a publisher to publish 5 papers within the next year with a discount of 75% per paper. The discount will be removed if the contract conditions are violated.